There is no other food as nutritious as breast milk, but in some situations, it might be not possible for you to breastfeed your baby. Though you want, maybe you are unable to breastfeed or you can feed very little amount. In that situation, formula feeding is the best alternative healthy choice for your baby. It’s not a difficult task, but sometimes it will make you bother unless you know the basics. Here we will discuss on making baby formula for newborn, which will help you to understand the basics of formula feeding.
Tasks to be done first:
First, you need to select the right formula for your baby. There are mainly two types of formula in the market. One is powder, for regular use. Another type is ready-to-feed while traveling. Some parents also like to feed homemade formula, some like to feed formula made from scratch. Consult with a pediatrician for choosing the right one for your baby, your baby may need a dairy-free if he has an allergy to dairy products.
You need to select a bottle which your baby will not reject. There are hundreds of bottle in the market, buy an attractive one for your baby. There is also some special type of bottles in the market which will help you to make the bottle in advance when out, these bottles have to separate vessel to store both powder and water. Make sure that the bottle is free from PVC or other toxic materials.
Some rules you need to follow before each feeding:
- Wash your hands properly
- Always shake properly before feeding
What kind of water should you use? Do you have to boil water for formula?
You can find some water bottle in groceries, especially for formula. This water doesn’t contain fluoride, lead etc. Fluoride can lead tooth decay in your baby, so it must be avoided. If your town water is fluoride-free you can use it, just boil it to make it germ-free. Though boiling cannot remove lead or fluoride, we suggest boiling water before use.
How to make baby formula milk for babies:
- First, fill more than half of the bottle with fresh water.
- Boil the water and leave it for few minutes until the temperature comes down to 65 degrees Celsius.
- Good hygiene is one of the most important issues, wash hands properly and clean the surface on which you want to work.
- Stand the bottle on the clean surface.
- Follow the manufacturer’s instructions on the formula to water ratio. Check the water level is correct with the amount of powder you want to take. Never put the water in the bottle before the powder.
- Take the powder according to the measurement chart and by the scoop, that manufacturer has given with powder can. If they don’t give any scoop take a smaller one to use only for this purpose. Don’t pour the scoop in water, always keep it dry with the formula.
- Close the bottle opening with the teat and cover by the cap.
- Shake the bottle until the powder dissolved into the water.
- Don’t feed the bottle at that temperature; leave it in cool water with the closed lid. Test the temperature before giving it to your baby.
- Throw away the excess after each feeding; don’t give it to your baby during next feed.
Important instructions on making baby formula:
- Make up each feed as required, not excess
- Try not to store made up feeds, feed it as soon as possible, within 2 hours.
- Never let your baby eat alone
- Don’t add extra scoops to your baby’s feed
- Don’t add sugar to your baby’s formula
- Never heat feeds in a microwave oven, it may create hot spots and burn your baby’s mouth
Warm the made-up formula:
First of all, it does not need to be warm. If you think it’s too cold, don’t go for microwave. Take a bowl and fill it with warm water (not 100). Hold the bottle under the water and test the temperature on your inside wrist before feeding.
Store the formula:
Never store made-up formula more than two hours. Always makeup feed as required. Store it in a cool and dry place, not in the refrigerator. See the manufacturer’s instructions carefully as it varies by brands.
We hope this article will help you to prepare formula for your baby properly. We wish a happy and healthy future for you and your baby.
Be with momion, we are for you and your minion.