Play mats ensure the comforts every baby on hardwood floors. But with the right design and materials, the best play mat also makes a friendly zone in which kids love to play as like their own space. Since laying around on hardwood floors is not comfortable, kids can benefit from below mats for their own playtime. We have tested around 30 play mats from the market and made this short list of 8 best play mats for hardwood floors. Take a look to find the best one for your baby:
1. Gupamiga Baby Folding Play Mat
This folding mat is one of the most versatile parents can hope for. It serves its purpose at home but due to its folding design, it can also be a top traveling option. For some parents, this means that it comes with practicality which might even save them money.
Apart from its friendly design, the mat also comes with waterproof materials. This protects hardwood floors from spillage or other accidents. At the same time, this is actually based on its entire extra-large surface which allows kids to play freely with all of their favorite toys.
Cleaning the mat is not complicated. Parents can easily clean it using wet wipes. A good sanitized should also be used to ensure the mat remains clean and safe for kids to play on as long as they want.
2. V-mix Baby Play Mat For Hard Floor
Made with premium materials such as 20mm sponge and a soft velvet cover, the mat is perfect for various activities around the house. Available in various widths with 200cm length, the mat is perfect for babies to play on. It largest versions are also adult-friendly. It means this versatile mat can also transform into a yoga mat for parents to do their poses on.
Available in multiple plain colors, the mat can suit most homes. Interestingly, its coral velvet cover can also be vacuum cleaned for the mat to be in perfect shape at all times. Most importantly, all of the chosen materials are actually free from allergens. So even if babies spend all day on the matt, it’s completely safe for them to do so.
3. Berry Lane Baby Play Mat for Infants
If you’re looking for a new baby play mat that doesn’t have bright colors or multiple tiled sections, then you’ll love Berry Lane’s luxury play mats. These playmats are designed to meet a variety of home decor styles, with a focus on minimalism.
Berry Lane’s baby mats are not only aesthetically pleasing to children and adults alike, but they’re also made from non-toxic materials, waterproof, and portable. Since these mats are made from a 0.6-inch thick layer of non-toxic shock-absorbent polyurethane foam, there’s no need to worry about wrinkles and other tripping hazards.
Lightweight and flexible, the mat can easily be stored out of sight when not in use. Assembly is as easy as rolling out a yoga mat. The best part is it’s durable and comfortable, young children and babies can spend hours playing on it without any discomfort. On top of that, the mat is large enough for parents to play next to their children, fun for the whole family.
So if you’re in the market for a great baby mat that’s not an eye-sore and looks almost like any stylish carpet but provides awesome child-friendly features, then Berry Lane’s baby mats are definitely worth a look. Highly recommended.
4. Hape Foldable Play Mat
Using soft PE foam, the play mat offers one of the most comfortable options for kids to play on. It works on hardwood floors and even tile due to its insulating properties. At the same time, as its made out of foam, it actually prevents water damage to the floor. Its waterproof construction means babies can play with their milk or tea on the mat.
The double-sided mat offers great practicality. It comes with a foldable design. Parents get to be inspired by its simple design which means it can simply be tucked away when not in use. It also means it can actually be squeezed in luggage while traveling.
5. Folding Kids Play Mat
This friendly mat can be the noise-reducing option kids can rely on. Made from XPE foam, it creates a perfectly safe space for kids of all ages to play. Since it’s comfortable and inviting, it also stimulates kids to play and turn around on their tummies. Parents can use it as an educational mat as well as a result.
Its surface is non-slip. This keeps the mat in place. Even when placed on slippery materials such as hardwood floors, the play mat actually impresses with its simple and efficient materials which keep it in place.
Water spills are dealt with directly as well. The mat can be among the leading options when it comes to ease of cleaning. All spills can be wiped off which means kids can play freely without fear of various spills.
6. Yay Mats Stylish Extra Large Baby Play Mat Soft Playmat
This practical play mat has been designed by an attentive mum. It comes with a puzzle-style construction. It means it handles well when it comes to durability and practicality. Parents can install it simply where it’s needed.
Even if it comes with a one-sided design, the play mat is among the most interesting solutions for mums seeking stability. The back of the mat is known for its non-slip design. That’s why it may well be one of the options to place on any type of hard surfaces such as wooden floors or even tiles. It can be assembled fast and parents can also put it back into storage easily as it comes with a 6-piece design.
At 5 X 4 feet, the mat is among the best when it comes to the perfect size for the baby and a few select toys. The best part is that the mat can also be used outdoors. On sunny days when kids are wearing summer outfits, they can still play on the mat as it’s skin-friendly. After a long day in the park, the mat can be cleaned with wipes in minutes.
7. Skip Hop Playspot Foam Play Mat
The tile-style play mat uses multiple pieces to inspire a unique play area for children. Made with over 40 foam pieces which need to be put together, the play mat is large enough for most babies. At the same time, it can also be disassembled and easily put into storage under a bed. Even if it comes with a puzzle-style design, the mat comes with waterproof construction.
8. Baby’s Best Non-Toxic Play Mat
With 20 14X14in eco-friendly pieces, the mat is easy to assemble. It comes with EVA foam which is one of the most valuable types of foam for extra cushioning. As a result, it fits for all babies ages 0+. With an interesting pattern design, the mat also stands out with its modern aesthetics.
Features that make playmat perfect for hard floors:-
- The very first and most important feature is that playmats have a high density that protects your kids and babies from falling on hard floors.
- Non-toxic playmats are child-friendly and the best playground for your toddlers.
- The non-slippery playmat is a frim playground and helps to reduce minor falls.
- Playmats like interlocking puzzle mats are easy to assemble and cover hard floors according to the available areas; if there is more space, you can add another puzzle set.
- Soft foam playmats are more comfortable on hard floors for babies and kids and also lasts longer.
- Playmats, which are water-resistant, make it easy to clean up spill food, milk, and urine.
- Playmats provide stable, safe, soft, clean, and ample space on hard floors to play.
- Playmats which are portable can be carried anywhere to make a quick playground on any hard surfaces.
How does a play mat help a child’s development?
The playmats also help in a child’s development in various ways:
- Kids and babies crawl a lot on the playmat, which leads to healthy muscle development.
- Playmats may stimulate the mental growth of your babies and kids; kids get more ground to toys to explore, which leads to increasing mental processes and thinking processes of babies and kids.
- Playmats also lead to Visual development as play mats act as a playground full of contrast colors and toys.
- Kids and babies lay on the stomach most of the time on play mat; this leads to a stronger neck and back.
How do you clean a baby mat?
Babies and kids spent most of their time on baby mats. So it’s essential to clean them regularly. There are different ways to clean a baby mat:-
- First of all, carefully read out the manufacturer tips; this will help to learn do’s and don’ts for the baby mats. Manufacturers also provide guidelines for how to clean baby mats.
- Use an anti-bacterial wipe or a clean wet-towel with a cold dilute sterilized liquid and wipe out the mat surface.
- Be sure the baby mat does not get in touch with some heating element; it may damage the baby mat.
- Do not make use of vacuum cleaners because they may scratch out the baby mats.
- Do not use strong detergents or chemicals to wash the mat.
- Do not dry the mat under the direct sunlight.
How to choose the best play mat for hardwood floors?
To choose the best play mat for hardwood floors, parents need to keep an eye of a few characteristics like below if they want a successful purchase:
Materials: From XPE foam to EVA foam or even to textile materials, there are a few options to consider. Since hardwood surfaces are uncomfortable, parents are advised to purchase a thick foam mat for proper comfort levels.
Practicality: Some play mats can easily be placed into storage based on a folding design. Others can be considered for their outdoor functionality. A practical play mat is often worth the investment for its durability.
Waterproofing: Water leaks can happen at all times. Parents who want to ensure mat durability or who simply want to protect hardwood floors need to choose a waterproofed play mat.
Is PVC play mat safe?
PVC playmats for kids and toddlers available in the market are made of foam or, more specifically, EVA foam. These playmats contain harmful chemicals like formamide and phthalates. PVC is one of the most toxic forms of plastic. It can harm the human body through contact with skin; moreover, toddlers may playfully chew on it while playing.
PVC play mat also includes hazardous vinyl chloride, which is known as a human carcinogen as it causes cancer. Avoid harmful toxins, namely PVC(Vinyl), Formamide, Phthalates, Lead, and other chemicals. Opt for the non-toxic playmats, after all; it’s all about your kid or baby’s health.
With many inspiring designs, babies can make the most of their playtime amazing. Regardless of their age, a comfortable play mat can create a safe space for them to play on. Without having to deal with the lower hardwood temperatures, playmats can prove comfortable for the entire duration of the day.