Playmats ensure the comforts of every baby on hardwood floors. But with the right design and materials, the best play mat also makes a friendly zone in which kids love to play as like their own space. Since laying around on hardwood floors is not comfortable, kids can benefit from the below mats for their playtime. We have tested approximately 30 mats from the market and made this shortlist of the best Eight for hardwood floors. Take a look to find the best one for your baby:
1. Gupamiga Baby Folding Play Mat
It is one of the most versatile playmats. It serves its purpose at home, but it can also be a top traveling option due to its folding design. For some parents, this means that it comes with practicality which also saves their time and money.
Apart from its friendly design, the mat also comes with waterproof materials. It protects hardwood floors from spillage or other accidents. Simultaneously, the entire extra-large surface will allow kids to play freely with all of their favorite toys.
Cleaning the mat is not complicated. Parents can easily clean it using wet wipes. You may also use a sanitizer to ensure the carpet remains clean and safe for kids to play on as long as they want.
2. V-mix Baby Play Mat for Hard Floor
Made with premium materials such as a 20mm sponge and a soft velvet cover, this mat is perfect for various house activities. Available in multiple widths with 200cm length, the rug is ideal for babies to play on. Its largest versions are also adult-friendly. It means parents can also transform this versatile mat into a yoga mat.
Available in multiple plain colors, the mat can suit most homes. Interestingly, its coral velvet cover can also be vacuum cleaned for the carpet to be in perfect shape at all times. Most importantly, all of the chosen materials are free from allergens. So even if babies spend all day on the matt, it is entirely safe for their skin.
3. Berry Lane Baby Play Mat for Infants
If you’re looking for the one that doesn’t have bright colors or multiple tiled sections, then you’ll love Berry Lane’s luxury baby play mats. The elegance of these mats will match well with a variety of home decor styles.
Berry Lane’s baby mats are not only aesthetically pleasing to children and adults similarly, but they’re also made from non-toxic materials, waterproof, and portable. With the existence of a 0.6-inch thick layer of non-toxic shock-absorbent polyurethane foam, there’s no need to worry about wrinkles and other tripping hazards.
It is lightweight and flexible. When not in use, you can store the mat wherever you prefer. Assembly is as easy as rolling out a yoga mat. The best part is it’s durable and comfortable; young children and babies can spend hours playing on it without any discomfort. It is large enough for parents to play next to their children, fun for the whole family.
So if you’re in search of a great baby mat that’s not an eye-sore and looks almost like any stylish carpet but provides excellent child-friendly features, then Berry Lane’s baby mats deserve a try—highly recommended.
4. Hape Foldable Play Mat
Playmats offer one of the most comfortable options for kids to play on. It works on hardwood floors and even tile due to its insulating properties. Simultaneously, as the material is foam, it prevents water damage to the floor. Its waterproof construction means babies can play with their milk or tea on the mat.
The double-sided mat offers excellent practicality. It comes with a foldable design. Parents get inspired by its simple design and easily store it when not in use. You can also pack it with your luggage while traveling.
5. Folding Kids Play Mat
You can rely on this noise-reducing option. Made from XPE foam, it creates a perfectly safe space for kids of all ages to play. As it is comfortable and inviting, it also stimulates kids to play and turn around on their tummies. Parents can use it as an educational mat. The size is large enough to settle down both the parents and kid at the same time. You can play with your child or can enjoy your yoga time while watching your child playing.
Its surface is non-slip and keeps the mat in place. Even when placed on slippery materials such as hardwood floors, the playmat impresses with its efficient and straightforward materials, which keep it in place.
Water spills are dealt with directly as well. The mat can be among the leading options for ease of cleaning, also covered with a waterproof coat helps the kids play freely without fear of various spills.
6. Yay Mats Stylish Extra Large Baby Play Mat Soft Playmat
Yay Mats Stylish play mat not only provides a safe place for the baby to crawl and tumble but also elevates your playroom or living room with beautiful modern designs.
A puzzle-style construction consists of durable and practical function, and parents can install it easily.
Even if it comes with a one-sided design, the playmat is among the most exciting solutions for mums who seek stability. The back of the mat is known for its non-slip design. That is why it may well be to place on hard surfaces such as wooden floors or even tiles. Parents can assemble it fast and put it back into storage quickly as it comes with a 6-piece design.
At 5 X 4 feet, the mat is the best for the baby, surrounded by a few select toys. On sunny days you can place the mat outdoors. When kids are wearing summer outfits, they can still play on the mat as it’s skin-friendly. After a long day in the park, you can clean with wipes in minutes.
7. Skip Hop Playspot Foam Play Mat
The tile-style play mat uses multiple pieces to inspire a unique play area for children. Made with over 40 foam pieces that need to together, the playmat is large enough for most babies. When in need, you can quickly disassemble it and put it into storage under a bed. Even if it comes with a puzzle-style design, the mat comes with waterproof construction.
8. Baby’s Best Non-Toxic Play Mat
With 20 14X14in eco-friendly pieces, the mat is easy to assemble. It comes with EVA foam which is one of the most valuable types of foam for extra cushioning. As a result, it fits all babies ages 0+. With an exciting pattern design, the mat also stands out with its modern aesthetics.
Features that Make Playmat Perfect for Hard Floors
- Playmats have a high density that protects your kids and babies from falling on hard floors.
- Non-toxic mats are child-friendly and the best playground for your toddlers.
- The non-slippery mat is a dynamic playground for kids and helps to reduce minor falls.
- Playmats like interlocking puzzle mats are easy to assemble and cover hard floors according to the available areas; if there is more space, you can add another puzzle set.
- Soft foam playmats are more comfortable on hard feet for babies and kids and also last longer.
- Water-resistant playmats are easy to clean. You can wash spilled food, milk, and even urine from them with less effort.
- Playmats provide stable, safe, soft, clean, and ample space on hard floors to play.
- Portable playmats are carriable anywhere to create a quick playground on any hard surfaces.
How does a Play Mat Help a Child’s Development?
The playmats also help in a child’s development in various ways:
- Kids and babies crawl a lot on the playmat, which leads to healthy muscle development.
- Playmats may stimulate your babies and kids; kids get more ground to toys to explore, which leads to increased cognitive and thinking processes of babies and kids.
- As play mats act as playgrounds full of contrast colors and toys, the process also leads to visual development.
- Kids and babies lay on the stomach most of the time on a play mat. It leads to a more muscular neck and back.
How do You Clean a Baby Mat?
Babies and kids spent most of their time on baby mats. So it’s essential to clean them regularly. There are different ways to clean a baby mat:-
- First of all, carefully read out the manufacturer’s tips; this will help you learn how to take care of the baby mats. Manufacturers also provide guidelines for how to clean baby mats.
- Use an anti-bacterial wipe or a clean wet-towel with a cold dilute sterilized liquid and wipe out the mat surface.
- Be sure the baby mat does not get in touch with some heating element; it may damage the surface.
- Do not use vacuum cleaners because they may scratch out the mats.
- Do not use strong detergents or chemicals to wash the mat.
- Do not dry the mat under direct sunlight.
How to Choose the Best Play Mat for Hardwood Floors?
Parents need to keep an eye on a few characteristics to choose the best play mat for hardwood floors. If they want a successful purchase, they need to consider the following features below.
Materials: From XPE foam to EVA foam or even textile materials, there are a few options to consider. Since hardwood surfaces are uncomfortable, a thick foam mat is ideal for proper comfort levels.
Practicality: A folding design will help store it wherever you want and let you carry it wherever you go. A practical play mat is often worth the investment for its durability.
Waterproofing: Water leaks can happen at all times. Parents who want to ensure mat durability or want to protect hardwood floors need to choose a waterproof play mat.
Is PVC Play Mat Safe?
PVC playmats for kids and toddlers are available in the market, made of foam or, more specifically, EVA foam. These mats contain harmful chemicals like formamide and phthalates. PVC is one of the most toxic forms of plastic. It can harm the human body through contact with skin; moreover, toddlers may playfully chew on it while playing.
PVC play mat also includes hazardous vinyl chloride, known as a human carcinogen as it causes cancer. Avoid harmful toxins, namely PVC(Vinyl), Formamide, Phthalates, Lead, and other chemicals. Opt for the non-toxic playmats; after all, it’s all about your kid’s or baby’s health.
With many inspiring designs, babies can make the most of their playtime memorable. Regardless of their age, a comfortable play mat can create a safe space for them to play on. Without having to deal with the lower hardwood temperatures, playmats can prove comfortable for the entire duration of the day.