Dealing with diaper rashes is one of the worst parts of being a mom as the red looking bottom part gives a statement of bad parenting. Diaper rashes especially grow in warm and moist places like dirty diaper area. This indicates that your baby wouldn’t have diaper rash if you’d changed his diaper time to time or used the right cream to protect his skin from irritation. Diaper rashes can also result from some foods or products, too tight diaper or sensitive skin. However, most of the times it’s from moisture from the closed dirty diaper, especially when baby got diarrhea. Here we are discussing some home remedies for diaper rash especially the use of cornstarch for diaper rash. You can also read about how to stop diarrhea in babies.
What causes diaper rash?
- Diaper rashes generally happens for the wet diaper that is not changed in time
- For chemical presence in the diaper
- Because of bacteria in baby’s stool and urine
- Yeast infection
Home remedies of diaper rash:
There are many ingredients which can help to reduce diaper rashes like vinegar, baking soda, petroleum jelly, oatmeal and coconut oil. Among all the ingredients cornstarch works most perfectly for diaper rash treatment. In this article we will discuss the process of treatment by using cornstarch.
Cornstarch for diaper rash treatment:
This is an old treatment procedure to get rid of diaper rash. Cornstarch helps to keep the skin dry and reduce friction which can prevent diaper rashes. However, there are some problems also as it heals.
Why use cornstarch?
Combination of moisture and bacteria with friction causes diaper rash, which is one of the most common rashes in babies. Doctors suggested in past days to use baby powder, which was really a good solution to baby rash. But Baby powder containing talcum can get into baby’s lungs and cause respiratory problem. For this side effect of talcum powder, some doctors are against using baby powder. They suggest some other home remedy including cornstarch. Cornstarch really works fast and effectively than other home remedies, for that maximum doctors suggest to use cornstarch for diaper rash.
How to use cornstarch for diaper rashes:
There are different methods of using cornstarch for diaper rashes, we are discussing some of them here:
- You can apply cornstarch directly on your baby’s skin as talcum powder. Take a clean cloth and soak it in a cup of warm water. Squeeze out the extra water and clean your baby’s bottom with it. Let your baby’s skin to dry and slowly sprinkle 2-3 tablespoons cornstarch. Wait for five minutes and then make your baby wear a new diaper. You can apply this process 2-3 times a day.
- You can use cornstarch by mixing with petroleum jelly. Mix 2 tablespoon cornstarch with 1 tablespoon petroleum jelly. Mix it well and make thick cream. Apply the cream to the affected area. After 10-15 minutes wipe out the cream with a warm wet cloth. You can apply this cream twice a day.
- Another way of using cornstarch is mixing with coconut oil and vitamin E. First make a paste with ½ cup of cornstarch, ½ cup coconut oil, and a vitamin e cap. Then apply the paste on the affected area and keep it for 10 minutes. Finally, wash the skin with warm water and let the area dry before make your baby wearing a new diaper.
Negative sides of using cornstarch:
- If rash caused by yeast then using cornstarch can be a threat for your baby. As cornstarch is a great food source for the yeast, so it can even worsen rashes caused by yeast. Yeast diaper rash is very common in babies, look for the red dot on diaper rash, especially on the border, that’s the most common sign of yeast diaper rash.
- Treat with the zinc oxide is the most common suggestion by doctors. But we will not recommend you to use zinc oxide without doctor’s advice. Please consult with a pediatrician if you see the sign of infection by yeast.
Find the best cream to get rid of your pregnancy stretch marks too, be with momion.